Here are some of the tips I follow to ensure I keep my pimples at bay.
1. Change your pillowcase regularly to remove bacteria. If you ask me, I'd choose a silk pillowcase for its hypoallergenic properties, and because silk is more hydrating than cotton.
2. Don't use your partners pillowcase, why? my partner uses hair gel/wax in is hair, but he doesn't wash his hair every night , so the residue sits on his pillow till he washes the pillowcase. The products he uses are comedogenic , which in return can clog your pores and lead to whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.
3. Don't wipe your face with the towel you used on your hair (for the same reason above).
4. Clean your mobile phone / home phone.
5. Wash your hair regularly if you have oily hair, or if you use a lot of hair products.
6. Throw out old/ out of date makeup.
7. Don't share makeup. As we all know makeup brushes are a playground for bacteria they grow and grow. Some bacterias found on make brushes are : Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, Propionibacterium, Enterococcus Faecalis plus many more, but these are all very serious , they can lead to organ failure, paralysis, respiratory infection (Extreme Cases).
8. Clean your makeup brushes (weekly), for the reason above.
9. Make sure you don't wear makeup to sleep, if you do, that can lead to clogged pores, irritated eyes and irritated skin, not mention that when you do decide to go to bed with a clean face your pillowcase will already be dirty.
10. Get yourself in a proper skincare routine, but remember don't over do it, you can cause skin irritations and sensitivity, when in doubt ensure you cleanse, moisturise, and always SPF in the daytime .
11. Use the right products for your skin concerns and skin type, so you don't aggravate your skin.
12. Remember to moisturise . Using skincare products marketed for acne, contain a lot of irritating/ drying ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, which causes the skin to dry and flake off, so your acne may be gone, but your skins barrier defence system is now in need of repair . When your barrier defence system has been compromised the skin will feel under attack and react accordingly. This will result in redness, itchiness, dry and reactive.
13. Don't touch your face, this was actually a really bad habit of mine, I couldn't help but touch my face when i had an itch , wiping my forehead and I wasn't paying attention to whether my hands were clean or dirty.
14. Relax... stress can cause pimples.
15. Try adding a charcoal mask, to your routine.
Don't forget, these are some of the tips I follow to keep my acne at bay. By following all of these points I'm not guaranteeing that you will have flawless skin, these are just pointers that have dramatically improved my skin. Each and every single one of us have different skin types, we also have different contributing factors i.e hormones, stress, diet, smoking and medication, each of these can effect the outcome of our skins appearance.